Tuesday 30 December 2014

First Ever Xmas, and Rough Dates for the Palate Operation

“The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.” ~ Burton Hillis

I remember the first year that I was absolutely certain that Father Christmas was not true, I was 8. That year I also managed to find my presents hidden in the wardrobe of my parents room and tore the corners off each one so I knew what I was getting.


It was the most horrible Xmas ever, I thought for a long time that it was because I had ruined the surprise by stealing a look a my presents. I have never stolen a look at any of my presents since and I'm now 32.

However, despite my deep love for Xmas (I love family & friends and think Xmas is a great time to spend with them all), it has never been the same. The magic was gone, the spark of my childhood was gone and it never made it way back.

That is until last Friday. Josh awoke at 6am, and thus awoke me and his mother, like the little alarm clock he is. I bounced out of bed with a spring in my step, which to be fair I never do, im a very grumpy person before any time in the morning where the clocks little hand points towards any numbers not in double digits.

Anywho bounce out of bed I did, and scooped up JJ and shook the wife. Its CHRISTMAAAAS!!! The magic is back ladies and gents. 

Im not sure if its because of the excitement of JJs first Xmas, or just because he's now around that everything is that little bit more magical, but either way its back.

JJ didnt have a clue what was going on, I mean I'm sure he had noticed the big fuck off tree with twinkly lights and stuff. He even seemed to enjoy it for a few seconds, but then he shoved his fist into his mouth, gurgled a bit to himself and all was forgotten. 

He had tonnes of presents, he enjoyed the wrapping paper more than the presents themselves, as is a little kings want, but it has to be said I have had great fun with his presents. It has never been, and never again will, be acceptable for me to play with a musical singing toy house....for now it is, lets enjoy it!

Anyway, basically we did all the things a little family should do, we ate drunk and were merry, more than merry, downright happy. 

JJ got to be dressed up as Santa and a reindeer, all was well with the world. 


He loves his ball pit and his walker, although he doesnt walk in the walker, he smashes the buttons on the front of it for now, but little steps.

The ball pit was a winner!


We also got a call from the hospital a touch before the Xmas break. Palate operation will be in March, unless there is a cancellation before hand in which case it will be sooner.

Wifey is worried about this one as all the chat on forums and such seem to indicate this operation is a bit of a bugger for the little nipper. 


Me? Yeah a little, but then I was worried before he was born and he proved me wrong, I was worried before about him sucking a bottle and he proved me wrong, I was worried before his lip op and he breezed through it. 

I imagine he will show me just how tough he is and show me yet again, once more that worrying is an exercise in futility. Xmas may be amazing and magical, but not as amazing as the toughness of these little kiddos.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year All.

Joshua, looking like Santa, and looking downright awesome.


1 comment:

  1. Hi James :)
    Another great blog. It was fabulous to see you all just two weeks ago. Josh is looking awesome as you say and he's a real character.
    I know Charlene is more nervous about the palate operation and I can't say I blame her. If they do as good a job on his palate as they did on his lip, all the worrying will be worth it!
    Josh is a great little boy and I am SO proud of him and of his fabulous parents.
    Happy New Year - love you all
    Grandma/Mum x x x :)

    ReplyDelete