Friday 24 October 2014

Cleft Lip Operation


I’ve never seen a smiling face that was not beautiful. ~Author Unknown

Been a bit absent with the blog posts recently, mainly because the Cockburn household has been exceptionally busy with a certain future leader of the free worlds cleft lip operation and the moments that followed.

Ok so lets get down to it, tell the truth and shame the devil and all that. I was terrified of this operation. Deep pit of stomach churning terrified. The thought of little JJ being knocked out and going under the knife has been nagging at the very front of my man brain since the day his cleft was diagnosed at the 20 week scan.

You know its a somewhat irrational fear, you know its for the best, you know it must be done, but I swear to god there were points where if someone had given me and the wife the option of not doing the operation, we might have said not to.

I was mainly worried about my little dude being in pain after the operation, about how it would affect him eating and affect his general happiness in the weeks after the operation.

But weirdly another huge worry of mine was the fact that we couldn't feed him for 8 hours before the operation time. Now JJ likes his grub, and normally kicks off in a huge way after about 3 hours. The thought of having to force him to go 8 hours made me feel downright cruel, and I had visions of the little man literally screaming me deaf.

But of course, as I am fast learning, Joshua James Ian Cockburn is full of surprises, and is one tough little cookie.

The morning of the operation he didn't even wake up for a night feed, not a peep, not a murmur, He slept right through until we woke him at 5am. Surely he would now kick off? Nope.

That little boy didn't even cry once, until he was due to go down into surgery. And that was only because the operation start was 20 minutes late. Its like he knew.



So there he was, kitted out in his tiny teeny little surgical gown, and I was taking as many pictures as I could of his "wide smile" before it was gone forever. I will tell you now for all those mums and dads whose kiddys operations are looming, or for those whose children are yet to arrive. You will miss that smile.

I remember in the months before Josh was born seeing tonnes of posts about how they missed their child's cleft. I remember thinking how weird that sounded.

Well I get it, I totally and utterly get it. I miss his old smile heaps. Its what made Josh, Josh, and of course I love his new smile, but to me it was just as perfect before as it is now.



Anyway, the nurses came to collect us and we went down into theatre. The surgeons explained that they were going to put him out using gas first, and then anesthetic after we had left.

Now you have probably guessed from my previous posts, I like to think of myself as a bit of a blokey bloke. And blokey blokes don't cry or kick up a fuss.

I think my wife has seen me cry about 4 times in total in our decade of being together......well now its 5.

The sight of the little gas mask going onto his face and his little whimpers as he slowly fell to sleep was too much for me! But that's ok. We are all allowed off days.

We went back upstairs and went for a coffee and some breakfast and after what seemed like an eternity (it was two an a half hours) The wifes phone rang and we went into recovery.

This was the worst part of the whole day. Josh was very much in distress, obviously in pain and absolutely bloody starving. This is what as a parent I noticed first and foremost. I didn't even notice the lip repair for about 10 minutes whilst the wife tried to soothe our baby boy.

Josh eventually calmed down a little, and latched onto a bottle, a few sucks here, a few sucks there, With a little bit of frustration as he tried out his new laughing gear. He sank half the bottle and then stared up at me. That's when I noticed the repair.



These surgeons truly do amazing things.....and I cried a little again.

Josh fell asleep and we took him back upstairs to the ward, and I swear to god when he woke it was like a different child. The little guy was laughing, babbling and most of all smiling. It was his way of telling us he loved his new look.

That was it, Josh was off and nothing was going to stop him, he took back to his feed absolutely as normal, sinking a full 210mls and this trend continued for the full day we were there. He acted like nothing had ever happened.

In fact after the operation the worst episode we have had was a bit of tummy ache, which we are certain was brought on by the Ibuprofen solution, so we stopped giving him that after 3 days.

Josh has been fine, actually more than fine, hes been an incredibly happy little boy. The way he bounced back into his normal self has amazed me. But of course it shouldn't, because Josh continues to allay my fears at practically every turn.

After just over a week this is how it looks

These cleft babies are strong little things, whatever life throws at them they continue to smile. I think we could learn a lot from that.

JJ Looking awesome as ever....


6 comments:

  1. I agree with all you have put into this and it brings back memories of when my daughter had her palate repaired, that little mask going over the face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. Yes, I really didn't like that part. Was particularly heartbreaking!

      How old is your daughter?

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear that the surgery went well!! Our cleft baby is 3 weeks old and just starting his journey. Can't wait to keep seeing his positive progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your little one! Cleft babies are truly amazing. You will be astounded at how your little one copes and the funny and great things he or she does!

      Take tonnes of pics. I have hundreds and I still wish I had more!

      Delete
  3. Sitting at my desk at work .... 31 weeks and 3 days pregnant with little boy who has a Cleft Left Lip, Gum and probable Palate ... crying !!! Your little JJ is a beauty !! i wish him much love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! Good luck with your little one. All will be fine, you will be amazed at his/her strength. Cleft babies are awesome!

      Delete